A demo instance of my url-shortener project is now available here:
Usually, URL shorteners are deployed under a short domain name (for example: goo.gl, bit.ly). It’s not the case here, but since it’s just a demo I didn’t think looking for a short domain for it was necessary, so I chose a longer domain that is also related to my blog.
I have also made some changes to the application. Some of them were minor, like adjusting font sizes in the front end, renaming some local variables in the back end, etc., but there are also some bigger changes.
Continue reading “Url-shortener: a demo and more refactoring”
When I introduced my URL shortener project, I already had a working version and I thought I only needed to improve its front-end to be able to release the first stable version of the application. I also had some ideas for new features to be added to it.
However, the longer I looked at my code, the more room for improvements I saw. Although I ended up adding some new features, most of the changes I made since then were refactorizations, changes in design and architecture of the application and code style improvements.
In this post, I’m going to describe some of them.
Continue reading “Changes in url-shortener”
URL addresses can be quite long, mainly because they often consist of path and query components, both containing a number of characters forming names of path segments and values of parameters (not necessarily meaningful to a human reader), or performing other functions. For that reason, they may be hard to type and memorize, or simply aesthetically unpleasing.
Because of that, URL shorteners were created. There are plenty of them already, so there is probably no reason to create yet another such application, perhaps with one exception: it seems like an interesting idea for a small programming project that could be later extended with other features. This is why I decided to create my own URL shortener.
Continue reading “Introducing my URL shortener”