When I introduced my URL shortener project, I already had a working version and I thought I only needed to improve its front-end to be able to release the first stable version of the application. I also had some ideas for new features to be added to it.
However, the longer I looked at my code, the more room for improvements I saw. Although I ended up adding some new features, most of the changes I made since then were refactorizations, changes in design and architecture of the application and code style improvements.
In this post, I’m going to describe some of them.
Continue reading “Changes in url-shortener”
I released the first stable version of spam-lists. It can be downloaded from github or PyPI.
In comparison to the version described in this post, the stable version contains some changes, mostly spelling error corrections and reformatting of docstrings. I have also changed the license of the project from Apache License 2.0 to MIT.
URL addresses can be quite long, mainly because they often consist of path and query components, both containing a number of characters forming names of path segments and values of parameters (not necessarily meaningful to a human reader), or performing other functions. For that reason, they may be hard to type and memorize, or simply aesthetically unpleasing.
Because of that, URL shorteners were created. There are plenty of them already, so there is probably no reason to create yet another such application, perhaps with one exception: it seems like an interesting idea for a small programming project that could be later extended with other features. This is why I decided to create my own URL shortener.
Continue reading “Introducing my URL shortener”
Since the introduction of my spam-lists library on this blog, I made some progress in its development.
I reorganized the library a bit, changed the inheritance hierarchy of exception classes, fixed some errors and published the package on PyPI. In this post, I’m going to describe the changes and explain my reasoning behind them.
Continue reading “Progress in development of spam-lists”
The first project I would like to present on this blog is spam-lists (GitHub): a library for querying custom and third party web address blacklists and whitelists.
Continue reading “Spam-lists – a host blacklist/whitelist library”